Sunday 13 December 2009

December update: Gig of the Month - Liverpool

I’m down and out after a big night out the previous day, nursing a hangover and licking my wounds after Man City beat Chelsea 2:1.
I give Purple a call and he’s heading up with G Double to Liverpool and Leeds for a night of dubstep so they de-tour to pick me up and we head on our way.
(I’m on this dubstep thing now, I went to a couple of nights but mainly to see what the hype was behind this expanding genre).

After a 5 hour car journey we get to Masque Theatre in the centre of Liverpool; such a cool venue, looks like a theatre with levels combined a certain level of grime that makes you think charm rather dirt.
Silkie, Heny G and Quest from Anti Social Entertainment were amongst a load of DJ’s playing dubstep from the atmospheric to the hard in a setting that rivals anything we have down in London when it comes to the underground sound.
The smoking area was jokes. Being a Southerner I fully expected some harsh treatment but instead I educated the scousers in some London lingo which included definitions and uses for the words “cotch” and “bounce”.

My lasting memory of the city will be standing in the rain at 4am with everyone waiting for kebabs and taxis and thinking, woah, it’s like being in an episode of Brookside…

We got to Leeds at about 5 minutes before the rave ended so we mingled outside on the hunt for an after party to make our journey worthwhile.

Big night with the lads. Dubstep is ours. It’s here to stay... Keep locked to Rinse FM Mondays 1-3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment