Sunday 15 November 2009

Bashy - Catch Me If You Can album review

See I’ve had a bit of problem with Bashy, stemming from an incident that happened way way back, so I’ve always found myself with a chip on my shoulder when it came to him because of it.

Felt a bit unfair as I see this guy is doing a lot of positive things in the scene and becoming a real artist, rather then just an MC from the ends.

So I get hold of this album for a bash (no pun intended) and stick it on from start to finish while I cotch with my breakfast…
In a podcast I listened to recently Bashy went on about how he’s “different” and how “there’s no one in the game that’s doing what I’m doing”. I agree, he does have something unique about him but at the same time I can’t say that his uniqueness is all that great. I mean, I make scrambled egg’s in a unique way, I don’t think anyone on my street does them this way, but are they good? Are they the best egg’s this side of Hoxton? Nah. My point is that from his Special Delivery days to his new stuff as a fully fledged solo artist he’s had something missing; I think his flow is sporadic at times, his punch lines lack weight behind them and his word play isn’t as smart as he’d like us to think. There were a few times I was reaching for the skip button as some tracks lacked either the energy or concept needed to sustain my interest.
On the plus side though, I reckon the collab “Ransom” with feat Wretch 32 and Scorcher, the conscious “Life”, the funky “Your Wish Is My Command” and the grimey “Kidulthood 2 Adulthood” are all stand out hits.
I’m feeling Bashy for his work rate and overall I think this a good album and possibly a marker for the rest of the UK scene on how to push yourself successfully and independently.

6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment